Impact of FSC
Permanent URI for this collection
- Move to set science-based targets for timber sector as threat to northern forests grows (Reuters, 2020) Type News ItemEnvironmentalists warn that clear-cut logging permitted by the FSC and poor forestry management practices are undermining the ability slow-growing boreal forests to store carbon. Angeli Mehta reports While the focus of efforts to end deforestation has been on tropical rainforests, home to the majority of the world's biodiversity, ancient woodlands in the northern hemisphere are also critically important, storing the carbon equivalent of nearly twice the world's recoverable oil reserves in their soil.
- Is FSC certification worth the paper it's printed on? (Reuters, 2020-03-07) Type News ItemAngeli Mehta reports on pressures to reform the forests certification scheme amid declining take-up and concerns about credibility in countries like Russia What difference do certifications make in the forest sector? The short answer is that it's hard to tell. And that should be cause for concern.
- Is Amazon nut certification a solution for increased smallholder empowerment in Peruvian Amazonia? (2014-01) Type Journal Article
- Twenty years of forest management certification in the tropics: Major trends through time and among continents (2020) Type Journal Article
- Towards Integrated Community Forest Enterprise: A Case Study of Ejido El Largo y Anexos (Chihuahua, Mexico) (Rainforest Alliance, 2015) Type Report